09 September 2011

SOMETHING COOL #22

Firefly.

As you know from my praise of Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, I'm a fan of Joss Whedon.  He's an inspiration to me personally as an aspiring television writer as he blends art and entertainment.  Though I haven't watched a lot of Buffy, I'm going to go out on a limb and say Firefly is the best representation of Whedon's work.

The plot centers around a ramshackle old spaceship, populated by "the kind of people the Enterprise would just pass by".  Think of it this way: science fiction is cool; westerns are cool; ergo, a well-done science fiction western must be AT LEAST double-cool, and I think you'll find it's quite a bit more.

Sidebar: WHHHYYYYY, WAAAAASH?  WHYYYYY!

Anyway, it had a really short run, but it was followed up by a movie that ties up a lot of the loose ends, and there are comics and supplementary materials galore.  It's a lot higher quality than most TV shows, and a whole lot more entertaining.  You can watch it for free on Hulu.  Check it out.

--Curly.

No comments:

Post a Comment